Who I am....

I'm a Mormon.

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Time Out!

I don't know about you, but I get distinct visualizations 
of what could be meant by 
"TIME OUT"!

1. I see a young child in a designated chair or an older child in a corner facing the wall, focusing (hopefully!) on the undesired behavior and how they will try to do better!
2. I see a coach of a team, having a whistle blown to call together his team because they are in danger and need some warning. They need to re-group and be counseled with some strategy for improved results.

3. I see someone just taking a break from their daily duties because they are exhausted.

This weekend I got to go to "TIME OUT FOR WOMEN", a gift from my mother for an early birthday present. We enjoyed the day together and I came to realize that the purpose of this gathering was 3 fold (just as the visions I mentioned previously). For me it was a time to get away from the ordinary day and the cares of the world, to warn me of dangers around us, and a call for unity and evaluation of where we are and how we can be better!

The speakers and music were phenomenal and I was able to connect with each one in a different way. One of my favorite speakers was Merrillee Boyack. She spoke about CPR...... Her focus point was that in order to save lives, caring isn't enough, we must do something. She presented the formula of Care + Prepare + React = help for salvation.

So how do we go beyond just the caring????? 
  • We see with our eyes
  • We feel with our hearts
  • We take action!
One of the warnings that was shared with us was that the world is in danger of starvation. 1 in 5 adults and 1 in 3 children worldwide are in danger of hunger. We all took action and brought food items to donate to one of our local food banks. The Second Harvest Food Bank was happy to receive food for 400 meals to serve approximately 1000 people. That sounded great to me until she shared with us that Spokane Food Banks distribute 50,000 pounds of food PER WEEK to the homeless and aging of Spokane! 

One of the most moving parts of my day was when one of the presenters asked us to unite in singing a familiar hymn, "Love One Another".  By memory, the sell-out crowd of 2700 sang the words in beautiful harmony to this favorite hymn. It was so uplifting!

As I Have Love You,
Love One Another,
This New Commandment
Love One Another,
By this shall men know,
Ye are my disciples,
If ye have love,
One to another.

The theme of this event was "Seek the Good". It originated from the scripture which states "And whatsoever ye do, do it HEARTILY". (Colossians 3:23)


Perhaps I am one of those "over-achievers" that Merrilee mentioned, but I just can't settle for the "caring" aspect of CPR. I gotta prepare to react. And I've got to do it HEARTILY! Not just with the hunger situation in our world, but in all aspects of my life.  We are told the Lord went about "doing good". If we are truly His disciples, we must Love as He did and DO as he DID!


So grateful to take the time yesterday to evaluate where I am and what I need to do to get where I want to be!


Time-outs are good!












No comments:

Post a Comment