Who I am....

I'm a Mormon.

Friday, February 10, 2012

He's a little bit country......I'm a little bit rock and roll!

Last night Ken and I went to the Brad Paisley concert at the Spokane Arena and two questions immediately come to mind:

1) Why do we pay high prices for good seats, and yet stand for the entire concert?
2) What am I doing at a "country artist concert"?

Well, I can't answer the first question: pretty crazy that we stand when we have great seats! I must say after over three hours of standing, I shouldn't have been wearing boots!

The second question's answer is much easier. Over the past 30+ years, Ken has allowed me to drag him to ballets, broadway plays, the symphony, and sporting events. I thought it was time I make it to "his arena"......
I've never been one for country music in the past. But I've tried to be objective and appreciate it more. Heck, I even voted for Scotty McCreery, last year's American Idol winner and opening act for Brad Paisley! (Although he has a great bass voice, I don't think I'll be contributing to his platinum sales!)

All evening I heard lyrics about dirty dishes in the sink, piles of laundry, big trucks with gun racks, checking for ticks, alcohol, fishing trips, and discovering "guys are just like that"!

I looked around me all evening and viewed people enjoying these lyrics. I wondered if it was because they were drinking beer, being unified through the wearing of  Wrangler jeans and cowboy hats, or if I was just "missing something".
Then Brad gave me the definition of COUNTRY MUSIC.....He said it's, "VIRTUAL REALITY"! As I looked around the room I realized that almost everybody could relate to something he was singing about. And they could laugh about it, too! 

Here's something I could relate to: "And I thought I loved you then".....
Ken may be a little bit country, (and I'm a little bit rock and roll) but he is my everything. I thought I loved him THEN -- 30+ years ago--, but I love him more than ever now! He is my whole world. We've come so far, and I thought I loved him then! I never dreamed I could love Ken MORE today!

**Side note: I'm probably not gonna convert to country, but I gotta say that was one great show! 3+ hours of clean entertainment! Great graphics and lighting show! What a generous artist Brad is.....during the performance he signed one of his many guitars and gave it to a fan in the audience. Later he took off his big, white hat and gave it to another! He really knows how to stroke that guitar and his fans! 

Another opening act, The Band Perry, sang this #1 hit. I loved all their numbers. I don't really consider them "Country"........or perhaps I'm in denial and crossing over after alll???

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the wonderful world of country! I LOVE country music and Brad Paisley is one of my favorites. We went to his concert last year. I don't know if you remember but "Then" is our song. We danced to it at our wedding. Love that song. Even in 2 short years of marriage I love Kenny more and more. Amazing how that happens! How fun to look back 30 years and see how you've grown together.

    ReplyDelete